Friday, May 29, 2009

Your Day Job and Your Business

Running a home business can be very exciting. The prospect of making money, meeting new people and developing relationships is great to look forward to. If you have a home based business and work a day job for an employer, accomplishing these tasks can be challenging and sometimes quite daunting.

It is my goal to offer you some encouragement. The whole purpose of this blog is to offer information and encouragement to individuals trying to profit from having a home business. I'm going through some of the same challenges and while I have not yet arrived, I would like to share some of my experiences, wisdom, knowledge, challenges and victories.

Balancing Your Day Job and Your Home Business

One thing I want to emphasize is the importance of knowing how to balance the two: Your Day Job and Your Home Business. Don't allow the two to overlap (unless of course you are selling some of your coworkers - assuming your company doesn't mind). I work for a large financial company during the day and one thing I struggle with is doing my work for my employer and trying to slide in extra time to do things to promote my business (like now). Fortunately, I work for a very flexible company and my manager is very understanding and is actually trying to help me in business. You may not be as fortunate in this area so it's important that you draw a clear line between the two. You don't ever want to find yourself in a position where you now have all the time in the world to work your home business but you now have to figure out a way to pay the bills.

Aside from focusing on your day job while you are there, when you are at home working your home business, focusing on that is just as important as if you were working for your employer. Don't bring work home or rob yourself of time that you could be using to promote and work on your home business. You need that time to innovate and complete specific tasks such as working on your advertising or web copy - especially since if you are working a day job, you have less time to work on your home business.

If you have any questions or would like me to share more of my experiences growing my home business, please feel free to reach out to me. I'm pretty transparent with folks (another good quality for running a home business).

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Contact Michelle:

Your Name :
Your Email :
Subject :
Message :
Image (case-sensitive):