Friday, October 16, 2009

Do You Have Strong Leadership Traits?

You may have heard the saying, "A leader is not born." Well, contrary to that saying, I disagree and I'll explain why.

There are certain traits that identify a strong leader. Some people ARE born with these traits and others may need to develop them  Some of these leadership traits include:
  1. Self Control
  2. Excellence
  3. Commitment
  4. Goal Oriented (including understanding & regularly reviewing goals)
  5. Accountable
  6. Personable
  7. Decisive
 A classic differentiation of one being born with strong leadership qualities and one needing to develop them was displayed in the life of two of my old high school home girls, Candee and Mandee (names changed to respect privacy....ok the substitute names are a little corny but I'm making a point here!)

Candee and Mandee are twins.  Candee was more focused on fun, fashion, boys and partying.  Mandee always appeared to look toward the future and knew what she wanted to become in life before she even graduated High School.  Mandee was born with a spirit of excellence, regularly exercised self control and was committed to her future goals.  She did not learn how to be this way by the age of 14.  It was a part of who she was.  Her sister, Candee was also a "good girl", and fun loving but she was like the average teen girl, focused on the hear and now.  Of course, both women now lead successful lives but as you can see, one started out focused, decisive, and committed.

Today, Mandee is an attorney and Candee is a social worker. The twins were distinctly different in that one exhibited many of the traits of a strong leader naturally and early on, while the other learned to develop those traits later in life.

If you aren't a natural born leader, that's ok. You can become one by learning to develop the traits I mentioned above.  Becoming a leader may take some time but it's well worth it to be successful in your home business and any endeavor in life.

Running your own business is not easy. There will be set backs and discouragements. Believe me, I know. However, staying focused on your goals and developing the traits of a leader I mentioned above, will help you tremendously when it feels like the rug is being pulled out underneath you.

I'm building my online stress relief site as a way to show my knowledge in this area. Stop by some time, read the articles in the Learning Center and shoot me a note to let me know what you think. I would LOVE your feedback!

Michelle

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Contact Michelle:

Your Name :
Your Email :
Subject :
Message :
Image (case-sensitive):